HOUSTON, Miss. (WTVA) - One inmate is dead and two were injured after a fight at the Mississippi Department of Correction's (MDOC) Regional Correctional Facility in Chickasaw County, according to Sheriff Jim Meyers.
Gregory Emary, 26, of Hernando, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Chickasaw County Coroner Michael Fowler.
Gregory Emary | Source: MDOC
One inmate was taken to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo for injuries, Meyers said.
The other inmate was taken to a hospital in Calhoun County to be treated for lacerations to the head.
Reports of a riot were confirmed by jail personnel early Thursday morning.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is leading the investigation.
According to MDOC’s website, Emary was convicted of burglary of an unoccupied dwelling in Tate County and was sentenced on Oct. 20, 2016. He received a 16-year prison sentence.
- Sheriff: One dead, two injured after fight at Chickasaw Regional Correctional Facility
- Chickasaw County corrections officer attacked by inmate
- Former corrections officer sues Chickasaw County
- Collision injures one in Chickasaw County
- Sheriff: 2 motorcycles stolen in Chickasaw County
- Chickasaw County wreck leaves one person dead
- Chickasaw Drug arrests
- Two people injured in Chickasaw Co. ATV wreck
- Crash claims life of Chickasaw County sheriff's deputy
- Murder suspect found dead in Chickasaw County jail