Update: 7:00 a.m. - The teenage inmate that deputies searched for overnight Thursday has been captured after officers set up a check point and he was caught in a stolen vehicle, Sheriff Jim Johnson said.
The checkpoint was set up near Big Oaks Golf Course and the 15-year-old was taken into custody around 1:30 Friday morning, Johnson said.
Stay with WTVA 9 News for the latest.
Original post below
LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Four teenage inmates escaped the Lee County Juvenile Detention Center Thursday night after they overpowered an officer, according to Sheriff Jim Johnson.
Officers searched East Main St. for the teens and captured three of them.
A 15-year-old is still on the loose.
Officers are going to search for him through the night, according to Johnson.
The escapee was said to be wearing a juvenile detention uniform that is yellow, but it is possible he could have changed into different clothes, Johnson said.
The other three teens have returned to the detention center; they were found within a mile of the vicinity.
The officer who was assaulted is ok, Johnson said.
If anyone finds him or knows where he could be, you are asked to the Lee County Sheriff's Department immediately.
- UPDATE: Juvenile escapees returned to Lee County detention center
- UPDATE: Lauderdale County escapee recaptured
- UPDATE: Rankin County escapee captured
- UPDATE: Yazoo County jail escapee captured
- UPDATE: Marion County, AL jail escapee captured
- UPDATE: Marion County, AL escapee recaptured
- UPDATE: MDOC escapees captured in Marshall County
- UPDATE: Madison County jail escapee captured
- Work center escapee arrested in Columbus
- Noxubee County Sheriff: Officers capture work center escapee