Editor's Note: This article has been updated since its publication.
CHOCTAW COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - New details are coming out following a fatal shooting in Choctaw County.
On Tuesday, May 29 at approximately 3:21 p.m., Choctaw County deputies responded to a shooting at 297 E. Smith Road.
When officers arrived, they found Jerry Lee Robinson on the front porch of a house. He was non-responsive and had suffered a single gunshot wound to his chest.
Robinson was later pronounced dead.
Choctaw County Chief Deputy Lee Upchurch says the shooter is a juvenile. The name of the juvenile is not being released because of age.
Upchurch says the juvenile shooter was home alone when Robinson attempted to enter the house with a hatchet in his hand.
The juvenile had a .270 rifle and met Robinson at the door. Upchurch says Robinson made an aggressive move toward the juvenile and the juvenile fired one shot at Robinson.
Robinson had reportedly made threats against the family as recently as two weeks ago.
No charges are currently being filed against the juvenile. The case will be presented before a grand jury in August.
I spoke with Rachel Cork, the mother of the juvenile who fatally shot Jerry Lee Robinson. Robinson attempted to enter her home with a hatchet, according to authorities. She says it was either the intruder or her son's life at stake. I'm live this evening. @wtva9news pic.twitter.com/igJD422ECf
— Rebecca Butcher (@RebeccaWTVA9) May 30, 2018
"My son had to protect himself. It was either Jerry was going to kill my soon or my son was going to kill him," said the juvenile's mother Rachel Cork.
- UPDATE: No charges filed after juvenile kills man in Choctaw County
- THE MIKE FILES: Death in Choctaw County
- Choctaw County crash kills Eupora man
- UPDATE: Power restored in Choctaw County
- Elderly woman killed after car crash in Choctaw County
- Friends remember Choctaw County's Moe Hardin
- Infant death reported in Choctaw County
- Man's death under investigation following Choctaw County crash
- Rumored school threat turns false in Choctaw County
- National Guard send off dinner held in Choctaw County