Editor's Note: This article was updated to include new information concerning Thursday's shooting.
PONTOTOC COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - There are two shooting scenes in Pontotoc County.
Pontotoc County Sheriff Leo Mask confirms one scene is at a location on Highway 9 near South Pontotoc School.
The shooting happened this morning at an apartment near Sycamore Drive. He says the suspect went to see his infant child at the apartment, but an altercation occurred between the two parents and the mother's boyfriend.
"He was going to see his child," Mask said. "The mother didn't want to let him see the child. So he kicked the door down and that's when they started shooting each other."
Mask says the suspect busted open the door and gunfire was exchanged. The suspect was reportedly shot four times and is in the hospital.
He says no arrests have been made at this time.
The mother says she has suffered abuse from the suspect for several months. She says she filed a permanent protection order against the suspect.
The other shooting took place in Algoma Wednesday night sometime between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The location is on Morman Road.
Sheriff Mask says two brothers got into a fight. He says one fired bird shot at the other. The shooter is in custody. The other brother was injured but did not go to the hospital.
The sheriff says the Algoma shooting scene is still being processed, but officers had to respond to this morning's shooting scene.
More information is expected to be released soon.
This is a developing story. This article will be updated.
- Sheriff: Two shootings reported in Pontotoc County
- Injury reported in Pontotoc County crash
- Pontotoc County shooting suspect is in custody
- Sheriff issues warning about scam callers in Pontotoc County
- Sheriff: Man set on fire in Pontotoc County
- Fire destroys Pontotoc County home
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash
- Pontotoc County officials sworn in
- Stabbing happens minutes after shooting in Pontotoc
- UPDATE: Man, nephew arrested for Pontotoc County shooting