ITAWAMBA COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) -Law enforcement has now confirmed that the Jeep a suspect crashed into a deputy's vehicle with, was stolen from someone just trying to give him a lift.
Daniel Clouse, 27,was shot while threatening an officer on Sunday night.
Clouse is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Authorities say he rammed into a patrol car during a chase.
"We're working the case after it got into Lee County and the actual assault on the officer."
Sheriff Jim Johnson says he also hit another vehicle in the process.
"This individual that was traveling on Highway 371 was certainly not doing anything wrong and the next thing they knew this individual hits them."
Authorities said the driver was in a black Jeep, stolen out of Monroe County, earlier that Sunday. Sheriff Cecil Cantrell confirmed Clouse asked for a ride, then stole the car from the driver.
"They certainly did what they thought was right by trying to help someone like the Good Samaritan in the Bible teaches. But they turned around and quickly became a victim of something."
The initial chase began in Itawamba County, where Clouse reportedly drove recklessly through someone's yard.
- UPDATE: Suspect in deputy-involved chase was in stolen Jeep
- Suspect in hospital after deputy-involved chase, shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting
- Mother speaks on son in deputy-involved chase, shooting
- UPDATE: Suspect ID'd in Tupelo chase
- UPDATE: Bonds set for suspects after chase
- Update: Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting
- State investigates deputy-involved shooting
- UPDATE: 3 injured in Lee County crash involving deputy
- Chase involving law enforcement ends with arrest