MONROE COUNTY, Miss (WTVA) ----- Nearly Twenty to Thirty stop signs have been stolen from the Monroe County area.
"We're asking whoever is doing this to please stop because we are going to catch you and we will prosecute you. this crime can carry up to high dollar fine plus jail time. we are going to ask the judge for jail time so if you are doing this for kicks or for whatever reason we are asking you to stop. this is very dangerous, and it is dangerous to people who are driving in our area everyday," Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said.
According to Monroe County Road Manager Sonny Clay, the rash of sign thefts began about two weeks ago. He asked Sheriff Cantrell to keep a close eye on missing signs but an even closer look at the violators.
The lack of stop signs in the area is very dangerous to the community and the deputies are aware and taking this violation very serious.
- Sheriff: Stop Stealing Stop Signs
- Road manager asks people to stop stealing "road closed" signs
- Trump signs order stopping family separation
- Sheriff: Traffic stop leads to drug arrest
- Traffic stop turns up methamphetamine, man arrested
- Police: Stolen firearm found during traffic stop
- Runner raising money stops in Mississippi
- Clay County traffic stop nets four arrests
- Traffic stop leads to drug discovery
- Police stop steroid delivery in Fulton