TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson says a few vehicles were towed Tuesday night due to obstruction.
He says 911 received several calls regarding traffic on Birmingham Ridge Road and the Garden Park subdivision.
“Traffic was not able to flow due to vehicles parked in the roadway,” he said.
Six unattended vehicles were towed due to obstruction. He says deputies made sure those affected had rides home once they returned to the area where they were parked.
“A good intention turned out to be total chaos and risked the safety of many people.”
Johnson says those neighborhood roads are not designed for the flow of traffic that was there.
In a statement, the sheriff stressed this was a safety issue. He says the sheriff’s department did not set out on a mission to stop an event.
“We were responding to numerous calls to fix a problem that already existed.”
- Sheriff: Safety issue prompted towing of vehicles
- Natchez Trace rangers tow 28 vehicles during checkpoint
- Sheriff issues warning about Lee County scam
- Sheriff issues warning about phone scam
- UPDATE: Man still sought after sheriff's deputy dragged by vehicle
- Sheriff: Body found in vehicle in Alcorn County
- Sheriff: Man uses vehicle to attack woman in Tishomingo County
- Sheriff: Corinth man caught stealing vehicle in Burnsville
- Sheriff: Driver flees from safety checkpoint, later crashes
- Sheriff issues warning about scam callers in Pontotoc County