KOSCIUSKO, Miss. (WTVA) - Attala County’s sheriff said a man shot a rural postal worker in the head Thursday.
Sheriff Tim Nail said the man first tried to kidnap a woman from the Sunflower Grocery Store near Kosciusko, but that woman managed to escape.
The man later encountered a second woman. The second woman, a rural postal worker, was delivering mail along Highway 35 North when she was shot.
The sheriff said the postal worker is in extreme critical condition at the University Medical Center in Jackson.
He added that law enforcement shot the man. The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is looking into the officer-involved shooting.
- Sheriff: Rural postal worker shot in Attala County
- Postal worker dies a week after Attala County shooting
- Attala County suspect charged in shooting of postal worker to remain in federal custody
- New information released in shooting of postal carrier in Attala County
- Sheriff: Burglary suspect arrested, returned to Attala County
- Five wounded in Attala County club shooting
- West Nile virus reported in Attala County
- House destroyed in Attala County fire
- One Injured in Attala County house fire
- Man in custody after Attala County shooting