HOLLY SPRINGS, Miss. (AP/WTVA) — A sheriff in Mississippi says a Marshall County prison guard has been severely injured by an inmate.
Sheriff Kenny Dickerson tells WREG-TV that the guard was attacked Wednesday night and airlifted to a hospital. News outlets report the sheriff's office says the guard suffered severe head trauma. Dickerson says the guard was in stable condition as of late Wednesday night.
WMC-TV in Memphis later reported the guard was released from the hospital.
The sheriff's office says that inmate and several others started a fire inside the prison and were burning items just before the guard was hurt. WMC-TV reports the fire has been contained and the prison has since been placed on lockdown.
Authorities didn't immediately release the identities of those involved.
- Sheriff: Marshall County prison guard severely injured by inmate
- Inmate escapes Marshall County jail
- Alabama prison guard in custody
- Former prison guard gets prison time for having sex with an inmate
- Sheriff: Lee County inmate attacks officers
- Attorney: Marshall County inmate steals gun, commits suicide
- Inmate collapses in prison, later dies
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Mississippi prison inmate dies in Pascagoula hospital
- Lowndes County inmate dies