MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Monroe County deputies found a man dead early this morning in what is being described as a home invasion.
Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says this incident happened on Reeves Drive. This is between Amory and Becker off Highway 25.
He says a man kicked in the door to a home there sometime near 1 a.m.
Cantrell identified the man as Andrew Culver, 38.
The residents woke up after hearing growling noises. The male homeowner found Culver in the kitchen, Cantrell said.
Cantrell says the homeowner warned Culver with a shotgun and ordered him to get on the floor.
Culver complied. The homeowner told Culver that law enforcement was responding, Cantrell said.
He says Culver then got off the ground and charged at the homeowner. He says the homeowner shot Culver with the gun.
Cantrell says Culver was dead when deputies arrived.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Sheriff: Man dead in Monroe County home invasion
- Fire destroys Monroe County home
- Arrest made in Lowndes County home invasion
- Man drowns in Monroe County
- Sheriff: Man injured in Monroe County stabbing incident
- Lowndes County man charged in Monroe County
- Hamilton man wanted by Monroe County investigators
- UPDATE: Missing Monroe County man found safe
- Man faces marijuana charge in Monroe County
- Man charged in Monroe County shooting