TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The Lee County Sheriff’s Department is charging an inmate with assaulting officers.
According to Sheriff Jim Johnson, correctional officers responded Saturday to an inmate who was causing problems in a holding cell.
As officers were removing the inmate, a second inmate would not allow the officer to close a door and the officer was attacked, the sheriff said. Other officers responded.
During the struggle, an officer was punched in the head and another officer sustained a broken ankle, Johnson said.
The inmate, 19-year-old Quartaveous Lyles of Tupelo, faces two counts of simple assault on an officer.
According to the jail’s roster, Tupelo Police arrested Lyles and he was booked into the jail on Aug. 26, 2019.
- Sheriff: Inmate attacks jailers in Lee County
- Sheriff: Lee County inmate attacks officers
- Lee County sheriff responds to former inmate's Facebook post
- Inmate stabs Lee County correctional officer
- Lee County jail attack caught on camera
- Chickasaw County corrections officer attacked by inmate
- Jailer accused of bringing contraband into Tishomingo County jail
- Sheriff expresses concerns about Lee County jail
- Lee County sheriff warns of phone scam
- Lee County Sheriff's Department investigates chase