TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The Secret Service is warning consumers that gas pumps have become prime targets for criminals stealing information.
Last weekend, agents found 59 skimmers at 85 locations in 21 states.
Tupelo Police Chief Bart Aguirre tells WTVA it's been a while since they've dealt with card skimmers. However, Aguirre says summer travel may be the reason for this new warning.
"Because these criminals try and take advantage of the heavy traffic over the holidays," said Aguirre.
"Now that I'm aware of it I'll probably look around when I'm inserting my card at the pump," added Dennis Nolan, who always pays at the pump.
Chief Aguirre says most of your big stores are diligent about inspecting their machines daily.
He suggests checking for a broken seal, and to look and see if there's something suspicious.
- Secret Service warns of gas pump skimmers
- Oxford police explain gas pump skimmer strategy
- Corinth police investigate new gas pump skimming device
- Secret Service captures alleged Facebook stalker
- Secret Service members create challenge coin for working without pay
- NTSB: Failed fuel pumps to blame for 2016 plane crash, 6 people killed
- Wilcox memorial service postponed
- Secret Santa pays off all layaway items at Walmart
- Secrets of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list
- This Site's Terms of Service