JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A second man has been charged in the shooting death of a Mississippi pastor killed Sunday morning while unlocking his small church.
Jackson Police spokesman Sgt. Roderick Holmes says police arrested 23-year-old Bernard Randall late Monday and charged him with capital murder. Randall is also charged with armed robbery and aggravated assault in a convenience store robbery last week.
Marquez Hamilton | Photo: Jackson Police Department
Police on Sunday arrested 22-year-old Marquez Hamilton and charged him with capital murder.
The two are accused of confronting 62-year-old Anthony Longino early Sunday morning outside New Bethany Missionary Baptist Church, shooting him, and stealing his pickup truck.
It's unclear if either man has a lawyer.
The shooting sparked new debate over crime in Mississippi's largest city, which saw homicides rise 30 percent in 2018 to a total of 84.
- Second man arrested in shooting death of Mississippi pastor
- Mississippi man arrested in Valentine's Day shooting death
- Pastor shot to death while unlocking Mississippi church
- Mississippi investigates shooting death of official's father
- Mississippi man indicted in shooting deaths of 8 people
- Grand jury indicts man accused of shooting at pastor
- Church pastor arrested in Chickasaw County
- Alabama pastor arrested, charged with sodomy
- Man arrested in shooting death in Alabama custody exchange
- Mississippi reports first coronavirus death