TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The Tupelo Public School district has named its new school superintendent with the hiring of Dr. Rob Picou.
He was announced to the public Monday afternoon on the campus of Tupelo High School.
He is a native of New Orleans and has been an educator for the last 28 years. He spent the last 20 years in public schools in Alaska.
He's a graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi, Tulane University and the University of New Orleans.
He also served in the United States Marine Corps.
“I am really excited for the opportunity to lead the TPSD team. I am committed to a culture where our staff members are involved in the decision-making process, where our community feels valued and part of the team, where parents feel hope and encouragement, and most importantly, where every student loves to learn. My family and I are eager to dive into Tupelo and to contribute to what makes this community so unique,” he stated.
"We took a serious look at what our stakeholders told us they wanted in the next leader. We wanted someone with a vision to move our district forward and without a doubt, we feel that Dr. Picou is that individual. As you get to know him, we hope that you will able to see in him what our Board saw in him –executive leadership experience and a record of reaching students in creative ways,” stated Board of Trustees' President Eddie Prather.
Current Tupelo Superintendent Dr. Gearl Loden announced late last year he will take a position in Missouri after this school year.
- Rob Picou named new TPSD school superintendent
- TPSD to start interviewing superintendent candidates soon
- TPSD using survey to help with superintendent search
- TPSD names Ellis new director of communications for district
- Former TPSD Sup. Michael Vinson dies
- Wiygul named new superintendent for Itawamba County School District
- Okolona school superintendent to retire
- Possible retirement for Calhoun Co. school superintendent
- Superintendent: Alabama school agency eliminated deficit
- Hickman out as superintendent of Columbus schools