TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Tupelo road crews will block a section of Lumpkin Avenue to begin the process of aligning two roads.
The Lumpkin Avenue intersection will close on Monday as part of a street improvement project.
Crews will block the roadway from Lumpkin Avenue to Stephen D Lee Street.
The goal is to shift Lumpkin Avenue west to align with Monument Drive, which is across Main Street.
This realignment will give motorists a straight path through the intersection.
The city will then convert the old section of Lumpkin Avenue to green space.
City Engineer Dennis Bonds said the project is under a 120-day contract.
He also expects the project to be completed sooner than Oct. 14, weather permitting.
- Roadwork begins to align Tupelo streets
- Emergency street closure in Tupelo
- Starkville begins street improvement project
- Work begins on Shonda Circle in Tupelo
- Drain work to temporarily close Tupelo street
- Tupelo moves forward with Jackson Street improvements
- Tupelo City Council approves Jackson Street improvements
- Tupelo plans to widen West Jackson Street
- Tupelo crews to begin road construction next week
- Tupelo-Lee County ready to begin summer backpack program