JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) — The state has fined a local funeral home $10,000 for illegally switching caskets.
The Secretary of State's Office said Ripley Funeral Home broke the law multiple times from 2016 to 2018.
According to the state, there were nine times when the funeral home used a lower quality metal casket when a more expensive one had been bought.
Regulators also found eight instances when the funeral home was supposed to use concrete burial containers but plastic ones were used.
Finally, the Secretary of State's Office said it found 20 times when a casket of a different color was used than the color chosen by the customer.
- Ripley funeral home fined for illegally substituting caskets
- Attorney for Ripley funeral home responds to state's violation report
- Ripley man reported missing
- Power outage at Ashley Furniture in Ripley
- Ripley mourns following deaths of students
- UPDATE: No charges filed in Ripley shooting
- Ripley PD look to ID warehouse burglar
- North MS Tool relocates operations to Ripley
- Flames erupt at furniture plant in Ripley
- Ripley man wanted for Kentucky murder