LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Lowndes County officers are warning residents about several phone scams.
Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley says his department has received several calls from residents stating they received calls from an out-of-state phone number claiming to be the IRS.
The scammer is demanding payment immediately with the threat of being arrested.
Miley says the sheriff's department also started seeing another phone scam. In this second scam, the scammer tells the victim they won a large sum of money, but the victim would need to send money first to receive the larger sum.
People are warned to be cautious of such calls and just hang up the phone.
- Residents urged to be cautious as phone scams continue
- Drivers urged to cautious on Sherman road
- Common scams continue to plague residents
- Lightning playing havoc in Tupelo, citizens urged to be cautious
- AT&T warns of phone scam
- People in Lee County urged to be aware of phone scam
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- U.S. Marshals warn of phone scam
- New Albany police warn of phone scams