STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - William Chisholm charged with capital murder in yesterday's fatal shooting at a Starkville Walmart is being held with no bond.
The decision was made at the Oktibbeha County Jail Sunday afternoon. His first court appearance will be Wednesday, January 17.
Police confirmed burglary as the underlying charge resulting in capital murder. Chisholm is also charged with malicious mischief for damage to a police car.
The Walmart off Hwy 12 west reopened Sunday morning.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE: 01/13/18
STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Police in Starkville say a man shot and killed a woman inside of Walmart Saturday morning.
William Thomas Chisholm, 41, is being charged with capital murder. Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt identified the victim as 42-year-old Shauna Witt, who worked as an optometrist in Starkville. She arrived at the hospital with two gunshot wounds at 9:58 a.m. and was pronounced dead at 10:05 a.m.
Close friends and family of the victim tell police Chisholm and Witt were in an "on again off again" dating relationship.
Chief Frank Nichols says officers were called to the store on Highway 12 West around 9:30 a.m. He described the shooting as an isolated incident.
Facebook video by Ken Murrell shows officers surrounding a man in the parking lot apparently after the shooting. He eventually laid down on the ground and was heard telling officers to kill him.
Inside the store, an officer could be seen on the video apparently kneeling over the victim.
Walmart will reopen at 7:00 a.m. Sunday.
Check back with WTVA 9 News and our news partner the Starkville Daily News for more updates on this story.
- UPDATE: William Chisholm held with no bond on capital murder charge
- UPDATE: Teens charged with capital murder to be held without bond
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Winston County capital murder suspect
- Two teens charged with capital murder released on bond
- Update: Suspect held on capital murder charge after Texas high school shooting
- UPDATE: Louisville murder suspect bonds out
- UPDATE: Louisville murder suspect returned, bond set
- UPDATE: Bond set for Grenada murder suspect
- UPDATE: Two charged with capital murder in Corinth man's death
- Bond referendum being held for Pontotoc schools