STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Starkville city leaders have placed Police Chief Frank Nichols on suspension.
Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill confirmed Monday, Nichols faces a two-week unpaid suspension with six months of probation.
According to Starkville Daily News, the decision came after a special board of aldermen meeting.
People in the area say they are concerned about the reason for the chief's suspension.
“I think they should get together and try to be fair about it, what’s causing that and the reason why it happened,” commented Michelle Shields.
When asked for a comment behind the suspension announcement, Mayor Spruill said the issue is a "personnel matter."
City leaders stated that Captain Troy Outlaw will serve as interim police chief effecting immediately for the two-week period.
Stay with WTVA for the latest on this story.
- Residents react following Starkville police chief suspension
- Starkville residents, businesses react to potential parking meters
- Starkville police chief stepping down at year's end
- Starkville police chief looks ahead after announcing retirement
- Starkville hosts Winter Fire Chiefs Conference
- Three Starkville residents arrested on felony warants
- Boil water notice inconveniences Starkville residents, businesses
- Starkville Police dedicate new building
- Starkville police investigate Sunday gunfire
- Starkville police arrest peeping tom