JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - A high school football player from Greenville has died, a week after he broke his vertebrae during a game.
WLBT-TV reports Jeremiah Williams, a junior defensive back from Greenville High School, died Friday.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson confirms with WTVA 9 News that Williams died at 11:56 a.m. at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.
He broke his C1 and C4 vertebrae in a game against Madison Central.
Greenville coach Sherrod Gideon told the TV station that Williams was injured attempting to make a tackle.
CPR was performed on the field and Williams was airlifted to UMMC.
- Report: Greenville football player dies after breaking neck in game
- Byhalia football player dies after collapsing during game
- EMCC football player dies in car accident
- Houston football player dies after feeling ill
- State to pay for repairs to Greenville port access road
- Prayer vigil held for ICC football player
- MSU football player Reggie Todd arrested
- MSU football player accused of animal cruelty
- Candlelight vigil held for Houston football player
- Longtime football coach Jimmy Mitchell dies