01/08/19 4:53 p.m.
In a statement from Winchester Ammunition, the company says the explosion happened in a production area.
Seven employees are being treated for minor injuries.
"Operations in Winchester's Rimfire & Military Packing building are temporarily interrupted but manufacturing at Winchester's Centerfire building is still in operation," a company spokesperson said.
See the original post below.
The Lafayette County Sheriff's Department confirms this was reported sometime near 1:30 p.m. at the Olin Winchester plant on County Road 101.
Investigator Alan Wilburn says the three injured workers are being taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Their injuries are described as non-life-threatening.
He says this was a non-hazmat internal explosion and there are currently no dangers to the public.
Wilburn says smoke filled the building and employees were evacuated. Employees have since returned inside.
The cause of this explosion is to be determined.
The company is said to be conducting an internal investigation into the cause.
This is a developing story.
- UPDATE: 7 hurt in plant explosion near Oxford
- UPDATE: Boil water alert lifted for Oxford
- UPDATE: More info released following Oxford shooting
- UPDATE: Arrest made in Oxford Lyric shooting
- UPDATE: Assailant wanted in Oxford, reward offered
- UPDATE: Investigation into Oxford assault continues
- UPDATE: Crash causes delays near Oxford
- UPDATE: Dead Oxford robbery suspect ID'd
- Update: Missing Oxford child found safe
- UPDATE: No injuries in Lowndes plant fire