OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) — A big money donor to Ole Miss has pulled his $5.3 million donation to the university after an uproar over a Facebook post he made last year that some considered racist.
The Oxford Eagle reported Friday court documents showed the money by Ed and Becky Meek will be moved to the Tupelo-based CREATE Foundation.
Ed Meek posted on Facebook last September criticisms about overnight activity on the Square in Oxford after home football games. That post included pictures of two scantily clad women, who were black.
The reaction to that post included criticism by then-Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter and professors at the journalism school, which had the Meek name on it.
Meek later apologized for the post and asked that his name be removed from the journalism school.
- REPORT: Ed Meek taking back $5.3 million gift to Ole Miss
- Ole Miss investigating reported sexual assault
- Ole Miss to spend $1 million studying new pharmacy building
- Ole Miss police chief resigns to take position in Indiana
- Ole Miss takes donor's name off school after racist comment
- Alabama downs Ole Miss 62-7
- Auburn downs Ole Miss 31-16
- Missouri wins over Ole Miss
- Ole Miss police investigate report of strong-arm robbery
- Letter: Name Ole Miss journalism school for black reporter