NEW ALBANY, Miss. (WTVA) - A New Albany family is thankful for their 1-year-old dog after it saved their lives and risked its own when their home went up in flames on July 30.
"From day one, I said he was special I didn't know how," said owner Mabeline Moore.
Moore was out in her garden when her fiance and son ran out of their home that was engulfed in flames.
"Usually, Dudley would follow me outside but this particular evening he would not," said Moore.
Moore's fiance said he was in the shower when Dudley saved his life.
"I was getting ready to dry off, and my dog came and bumped the door open. Smoke rushed in and I was like, 'Where did all this smoke come from,'" said Marvin Foster.
Foster said he noticed his kitchen was on fire and he and his son rushed out of the home.
The New Albany Fire Department responded to the fire and found Dudley trapped inside.
"We moved the wall over to get the door open. That's when I found the dog inside of the bathroom," said fireman Josh Self.
Fire officials pulled the dog out of the home and gave him oxygen to keep him alive.
Dudley remains in recovery at the New Albany Animal Clinic after he suffered burns and smoke inhalation.
However, Moore said she is thankful for Dudly saving the lives of her son and fiance.
"He's alive and he had saved two lives, two lives. He almost lost his saving the two," said Moore.
Foster said he and Dudley are closer than they have ever been before.
According to the fire chief, whatever money is leftover after taking care of Dudley's wounds, they will donate to the New Albany Humane Society.