TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - President Trump will come to Tupelo on the eve of the U.S. Senate runoff election to campaign for interim U.S. Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith.
The president is scheduled to hold a rally at 5 p.m. on November 26 at the Tupelo Regional Airport. People will be allowed into the event at 2 p.m. that day.
Tickets for the event can be reserved online at donaldjtrump.com. Only two tickets can be reserved for each mobile phone number submitted.
The Tupelo visit is one of two stops the president will make in Mississippi that Monday. He also plans to make an 8 p.m. rally at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi. Trump previously campaigned for Hyde-Smith at a rally in Southaven.
This announcement of the presidential visit comes as the senator's campaign has run into some turbulence. The Republican has been criticized for statements she made at campaign appearances prior to the November 6 special election.
Videos of those statements were released after the election by Lamar White Junior, who identifies himself as a Louisiana-based journalist and a progressive activist.
In one recorded in Tupelo that was released Sunday, Hyde-Smith is heard saying she would be on the front row of a public hanging if asked by someone who was standing with her.
In another one recorded in Starkville released Thursday, Hyde-Smith said maybe it should be made a little difficult for liberals to vote.
The senator's campaign said anyone trying to cast the statement about the hanging in a negative way is "ridiculous" and that she was joking in her comment about limiting the voting ability of liberals.
Hyde-Smith faces Democrat Mike Espy in the runoff on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. He has some potential Democratic presidential candidates campaigning for him.
U.S. Senator Kamala Harris of California is appearing with Espy Saturday in Jackson. U.S. Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey is expected to be in the state with Espy on Monday.
- President Trump coming to Tupelo to campaign for U.S. Senator Hyde-Smith
- President Trump rallies in Tupelo for Hyde-Smith
- President Trump supports Senator Hyde-Smith at Southaven rally
- Senator Hyde-Smith visits Tupelo for 4th of July Celebration
- Hyde-Smith visits Tupelo as incoming U.S. senator
- Officials: Cindy Hyde-Smith to fill Senate vacancy in Mississippi
- GOP's Cindy Hyde-Smith sworn in as Mississippi senator
- Hyde-Smith defeats Espy in U.S. Senate runoff
- Hyde-Smith Votes To Confirm Kavanaugh
- Hyde-Smith, Espy to debate next week