PRENTISS COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - The Prentiss County Sheriff's Department is warning residents of a scam going around.
The scam involves eBay and eBay Motors and false postings of cheap automobiles, campers and other large items.
Prentiss County Sheriff Randy Tolar says the seller (scammer) will attempt to persuade the buyer to complete the purchase by other means than normal eBay methods.
The scammer will suggest the victim use Western Union, MoneyGram, eBay gift card or other loadable cards. The scammer will tell the buyer to call when the card is obtained and asks for the card number.
The scammer tells the victim to scratch off the gray area covering the PIN number on the card and instructs the victim to give the number to the scammer.
Once the money has been transferred, nothing can be done to recover it.
Sheriff Tolar says the scammer will use fake personal information to lure the victim into feeling safe.
"Please be skeptical before making any major purchase like described because once you've done the transaction, it is too late. These scammers utilize technology to cover themselves so that they are not traceable," Tolar stated.
- Prentiss County warns of scam involving eBay
- Prentiss County men arrested after alleged attack involving baseball bat
- Prentiss County investigating multiple burglaries
- Fallen Prentiss County lineman honored
- Tishomingo sheriff warns about scam involving FedEx package tracking
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- Lafayette County warns of phone scam
- Monroe County warns of check scam
- Lee County sheriff warns of phone scam
- Sheriff issues warning about Lee County scam