PONTOTOC, Miss. (WTVA) - A Pontotoc woman has pleaded guilty to filing false tax returns and cashing the checks she received from the IRS.
Tracy Smith, 48, pleaded guilty to one count of intentionally stealing more than $1,000 from the government.
She faced a 42-count indictment accusing her of using other people's personal information to file returns online and then cashed the checks.
The count she pleaded two accused her of taking over $2,600.
Smith will be sentenced in October.
- Pontotoc woman pleads guilty in fraud case
- 5 plead not guilty in welfare fraud case in Mississippi
- Former Saltillo bank official pleads guilty to federal fraud charges
- Man pleads guilty in Mantachie murder case
- Man pleads guilty in child porn case
- Booneville woman arrested for fraud
- Suspect in 2016 shooting death pleads guilty to manslaughter in Pontotoc
- Tupelo police look to solve fraud case
- UPDATE: Missing Pontotoc woman found safe
- Pontotoc woman arrested inside old Columbus school