Update 09/12/18 11:02 a.m.
Pontotoc County Coroner Kim Bedford says the preliminary autopsy results for Charles Burns revealed thermal injuries and homicide.
(L-R): Solomakos, Rodgers | Photo: Pontotoc County Sheriff's Dept.
Update 09/10/18 3:39 p.m.
Pontotoc County Sheriff Leo Mask confirms Randy Solomakos has now been charged with murder. Laura Rodgers faces an aggravated assault charge.
See the original post below.
PONTOTOC, Miss. (WTVA) - An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday for the man that law enforcement says was burned because he refused to give someone a drink of alcohol.
That word comes from Pontotoc County Coroner Kim Bedford who identifies the victim as Charles Burns, 48, of Pontotoc.
According to Bedford, the man was burned September 2, just one day after his birthday.
Sheriff Leo Mask says Randy Solomakos, 26, and Laura Rodgers, 23, were with the male victim in College Hill on Rebecca Lane. The victim was described as a cancer patient.
Mask says the victim was drinking alcohol when Solomakos asked the victim for a drink. The victim then refused.
According to the sheriff, Solomakos then told Rodgers to go get his gas can, but she refused. Mask says Solomakos slapped Rodgers and ordered her again.
She retrieved the gas can and Solomakos poured gas on the victim’s feet and arms, confirms Mask.
Solomakos is then accused of lighting a piece of paper and igniting the gas.
The sheriff says Solomakos and Rodgers then fled and the victim ran to a neighbor to call 911.
Both were charged with aggravated assault at the time of their arrest. Law enforcement has not yet said if those charges have changed.
- UPDATE: Pontotoc County autopsy backs homicide
- UPDATE: Pontotoc County deaths investigated as homicide
- UPDATE: Autopsy results expected soon for Pontotoc County bodies
- UPDATE: Preliminary autopsy results back for toddler's death in Delta
- Autopsy results back following trooper's death
- UPDATE: One Pontotoc County body ID'd
- UPDATE: Second Pontotoc County body ID'd
- UPDATE: Missing Pontotoc County children found safe
- Fire destroys Pontotoc County home
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash