Update 10/09/18 2:49 p.m.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identifies the deceased victim of the Highway 45 wreck as Dr. Saul Joseph Vydas of Columbus.
Dr. Saul Joseph Vydas | Photo: Baptist Memorial-Golden Triangle
He was a member of the Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle medical staff until 2017.
Court officials say he was working with the Lowndes County courts at the time of his passing.
Merchant says Vydas was driving a Toyota Prius and appears to have pulled into the pathway of an SUV.
Update 10/09/18 12:38 p.m.
For the Highway 45 wreck - Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton says it appears a small car pulled out in front of an SUV. A person in the small car died.
For the Highway 82 wreck - Shelton says three vehicles were involved. He says it appears one driver was traveling in the wrong direction.
See the original post below.
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A wreck has turned fatal in Columbus, reports police.
This wreck is on Highway 45, near the Carl Hogan Toyota dealership.
Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton confirms a fatality. The person’s name has not been released.
Shelton says police are also working another wreck on Highway 82 in the eastern section of the city.
Police report no fatalities in this accident.
Use caution in the two areas.
- UPDATE: Doctor killed in Columbus crash
- Stolen truck crashed in Columbus
- UPDATE: Columbus police investigate shooting
- Car crashes into Columbus Little Caesar's
- Single-vehicle crash turns fatal in Columbus
- Stolen car crashes into Columbus bank
- Vehicle crashes into a building in Columbus
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Missing Columbus woman found alive
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting