WEATHER AUTHORITY : Dense Fog Advisory View Alerts

Police report released following mall store robbery

New details have been released after a person robbed The Shoe Dept. in Tupelo's Mall at Barnes Crossing in late October.

Posted: Nov 17, 2017 4:44 PM
Updated: Nov 17, 2017 10:32 PM

TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – New details have been released concerning the armed robbery of The Shoe Dept. in The Mall at Barnes Crossing.

The Tupelo Police Department released the police report to WTVA as a result of a Freedom of Information Act request.

The report is from Officer Cassidy Jumper.

The armed robbery happened at the store on Sunday, October 29 near 7 p.m. The mall closes on Sundays at 6 p.m.

According to the police report, a Tupelo police officer was dispatched to the mall and entered the mall at the door on the west side, between Ulta and D’Casa. The officer went to the store and immediately saw a white woman, who had duct tape around the back of her head and around one of her ankles.

The officer saw another woman lying face down in one of the store’s aisles. This woman had scratches on her arms and was complaining about her back hurting.

According to the police report, while the police officer was in the store, the police officer saw a Lee County deputy inside the store, along with a mall security guard.

The suspect?

The police officer then spoke with the woman found with duct tape on her. This woman described the suspect as a dark-skinned, black man, wearing a khaki coat, with several layers of clothes, with a bandana around his face. The man appeared to be skinny and approximately 5’11” in height.

What happened?

The woman found with duct tape on her says she was cleaning up the store before the incident. She then went to the register area to get trash bags. The woman says she then went to the store’s restroom, which is located in the back of the store.

The woman says she opened the restroom’s door and found a man standing there. She stated the man came out and started beating her in the head with a gun, causing a cut on her finger.

She says the man then taped her up and dragged her into the bathroom and locked the door. The woman says she stayed in the bathroom for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, according to the police report.

She eventually was able to get out. She then noticed the other employee lying in an aisle. She then called for help.

At the scene

According to the police report, the police officer noticed the woman was carrying a yellow box cutter. When the police officer asked the woman where she got the box cutter, the woman stated there was a box of them in the back and she used it to get the duct tape off.

The police officer asked the woman if anything was missing from the store. The police report states the woman said money, possibly $2,000.

The woman said she last saw the money lying on the register.

The police officer then asked the woman how the suspect could have gotten into the building. The woman said the gates were down in the store’s front and mentioned the possibility of the suspect using the back.

When asked about looking at the store’s cameras, the woman stated the cameras didn’t work, according to the police report. When the police officer asked about anyone who officers could speak with to look at the cameras, the woman gave the police officer the store manager’s phone number.

The second victim

According to the police report, Tupelo firefighters treated the second victim until medics arrived.

The second victim says she was vacuuming before the incident. Then remembers being shaken by the other employee, asking if she was okay.

The second victim said she didn’t remember what happened, according to the police report.

Firefighters informed the police officer the second victim had a large knot on her head and was complaining of back and neck pain.

What happened immediately after the incident?

According to the police report, the Lee County deputy stated he arrived and saw a woman “making her way out of the store, and she then took him over to the other victim.”

The deputy said he discovered a blade lying in the floor beside the second victim. However, the firemen treating the victim stated they had placed the blade on a wood bench near where the second victim was lying.

Pictures of the blade were taken.

Still at the scene 

According to the police report, the police officer attempted to contact the store’s manager multiple times with no success.

The manager was finally reached around 8:35 p.m. and asked to respond to the scene.

Tupelo detectives then took over the scene. The two victims were taken to the North Mississippi Medical Center.

The police report states around $1,090.63 was stolen from the store.

According to the City of Tupelo’s attorney, Ben Logan, the matter remains under investigation.

You can see the full report by clicking here. 

Article Comments

40° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 40°
46° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 41°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 41°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 41°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather