Editor's Note: This article has been updated to include Rockette's charges and the reason why Tupelo police initiated the pursuit.
LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Lee County sheriff's deputies assisted Tupelo police in a chase that ended with the suspect driving into the side of the AT&T store off Old Highway 6.
The incident happened late Monday night.
The chase was led by 50-year-old, Willie Rockette. Tupelo police say a patrol officer attempted to stop Rockette's vehicle in the area of McCullough Boulevard and Country Club Road. Police say Rockette was driving erratically, had struck another car and attempted to run the car off the road.
Sheriff Jim Johnson says stop sticks were deployed.
"He managed to go through [the stop sticks] and ride all the way down Highway 6 and he turned around up here at the county line store," said Ben Virges. Virges works at the Live Mobile and one of his jobs is to respond to and repair accidents at AT&T stores. "He came back to the store, rammed it once, but not once. He backed up and rammed it twice."
Sheriff Johnson confirmed Rockette was under the influence of a drug. That drug is unknown at this time.
The store owner explained Rockette fought authorities while they arrested him. Another store owner added authorities put a mask on him.
Repairs were quickly made. The only damage done was to a wall holding cellphone cases.
The store owners say authorities handled the situation professionally.
As a result, Rockette was charged with felony fleeing. The Lee County Sheriff's Department will be pursuing additional charges as well. His bond was set at $25,000.
- UPDATE: Man faces charges in Lee Co. police chase
- UPDATE: Lee County chase ends in arrest
- Two women charged, arrested after chase through Lee Co. campground
- UPDATE: South Carolina man charged after Golden Triangle chase
- High speed chase ends in Lee Co.
- Lee County Sheriff's Department investigates chase
- MHP identifies Lee County chase suspect
- UPDATE: Georgia woman faces child abuse, sexual battery charges in Lee County
- Fulton man faces meth charge
- Tishomingo man faces drug charge