Update 12/11/18 10:40 a.m.
Shannon Police Chief Desiree Kershner says after the car caught fire, the driver pulled over and left the scene with the vehicle still on fire.
Police are trying to track down the driver.
She says another vehicle stopped in the same highway lane because of the fire's smoke. This caused a three-car accident.
The police chief says two people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries from that crash.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
See the original post below.
SHANNON, Miss. (WTVA) - Police were called to the scene of a vehicle fire in Shannon Tuesday morning, Chief Desiree Kershner said.
The incident occurred along Highway 45 near Shannon Primary School, according to police.
Traffic was reported at a standstill all the way to Nettleton, which is approximately four miles from the location of the incident.
The road is now clear.
- UPDATE: Car fire in Shannon leads to traffic accident
- UPDATE: Missing Shannon man found
- UPDATE: Troopers work 18-wheeler rollover near Shannon
- Apparent drowning accident in Florida claims life of Shannon man
- Shannon man faces drug charges
- UPDATE: 1 dead, 3 injured in Grenada traffic accident
- UPDATE: Boy's bike returned after rash of Shannon, Nettleton thefts
- UPDATE: Traffic moving again after vehicle fire
- Accident backed up Friday traffic near Columbus
- No serious injuries in Nettleton traffic accident