STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) – Starkville police are investigating an apparent collision with a pedestrian.
Starkville police say this was on Highway 82 near the Rockhill Road bridge around 6:25 a.m.
Police say the pedestrian was struck and killed. Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt identifies the victim as 62-year-old Melvin Yeates of Starkville. He died at the scene of the accident from trauma.
It's unclear at this time as to what Yeates was doing at the time of the collision.
“Melvin was a fun guy," Sister Jacqueline Allen said. "He loved everybody. He just was full of happiness and a lot of fun.”
Allen remembered good times with her brother Thursday.
“I want to tell him I love him but I know he’s at peace," she said.
There are more questions than answers and the family wants to know what happened. In the meantime, they look at old pictures of him and remember him being full of life.
“Laughing and barbecuing," Aunt Hattie Roberson said. "He would love to barbecue and everybody stopped by to get a piece."
He leaves behind six brothers and his sister, his children, and his 92-year-old mother. This investigation continues and family members hope the autopsy will shed some light on what happened.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Starkville
- Pedestrian struck and killed near Pontotoc
- REPORT: Starkville police chief struck brother in face at city park
- Person struck, killed by train in Nettleton
- Pedestrian killed In Oktibbeha County collision
- UPDATE: Pedestrian killed in Lowndes collision
- Starkville Police dedicate new building
- Starkville police investigate Sunday gunfire
- Starkville police arrest peeping tom
- Police: Teenager struck by school bus