COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus police are investigating an assault inside a moving car that resulted in minor injuries of a local man, and police are working to identify a suspect, according to Police Chief Fred Shelton.
The victim was not hospitalized for the injuries.
The name of the victim has not been released because police do not identify crime victims, Shelton said.
In this case, a local resident leaving The Princess Theatre on Fifth Street was approached by an unknown black male near 7 p.m. Thursday, according to Shelton. The male asked the victim for a ride to the Columbus Walmart.
Once in the car and near the soccer complex, the passenger began to strike the victim as he was driving. The victim stopped the car and fought back against the passenger. After a struggle, the passenger fled the vehicle on foot.
Columbus police are examining footage from surveillance cameras in the area to identify the suspect, Shelton said.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
- Police: Victim injured in assault, searching for suspect
- West Point police search for burglary suspect
- Vardaman police search for shooting suspect
- Okolona police actively search for shooting suspect
- Kosciusko police search for shoplifting suspects
- West Point police search for murder suspect
- Starkville police searching for hit and run suspect
- Verona police search for three suspects following chase
- UPDATE: Bond set for sexual assault suspect
- Police search for missing teen