BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - An infant appears to have been left in a vehicle for several hours before being discovered by Booneville police officers.
According to Police Chief Michael Ramey, officers found the child dead Friday afternoon inside a vehicle on North Second Street.
The vehicle was located near a children’s daycare and an adult daycare, both of which share a parking lot.
“It appears the child was left in a vehicle at a workplace in Booneville for several hours during the day prior to arriving at the daycare facility at approximately 5:00 PM, when the child was discovered in the vehicle,” Ramey said in a news release.
The police chief did not name the 21-month-old boy but said the body has been sent to the state medical examiner’s office.
Investigators are gathering video and statements, Ramey said.
- Booneville police provide update on infant's death
- UPDATE: Grandmother in custody for infant's death
- Booneville police make drug arrest
- Booneville police investigate Walmart theft
- Booneville police chief: road closure
- State investigates overdose deaths in Booneville
- UPDATE: Booneville youth charged with attempted murder
- UPDATE: Booneville woman no longer missing
- UPDATE: Hatchie Street reopened in Booneville
- UPDATE: Fleeing suspect arrested in Booneville case