ALCORN COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A FedEx employee who was attacked by a pit bull on Friday is still recovering in the hospital, according to authorities.
Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell says the victim was injured in the face and head area while delivering mail to a home on County Road 192.
“It was pitiful, had blood all the side of his face," said Michael Worley, who helped the injured employee. "Part of his nose was torn out, his head was cut.”
Worley then when to get bandages to help the worker and says a nurse who lives nearby came to help.
WTVA spoke to the dog's owner, who was called home straight away.
“I thought I walked into a nightmare. I was about ready to cry," said David Dishman. "All I could think about was how bad I felt for the person that was injured.”
Dishman says his 10-year-old dog, named Charlie, is fine around his baby daughter.
“I just don’t know what could have happened to make him want to bite somebody, he was severely hurt by these dogs across the street," said Dishman. "He’s got a lot of cuts and scrapes on him.”
According to the family, the dog got into a fight with other dogs the same day of the attack. Dishman shared that the pit bull was later let out of the house by a health care worker who came to care for his daughter.
“He’d lick you to death, never had he done something like this,” said Worley of the incident.
Right now, the family has a Go Fund Me page set up for legal expenses if needed, and if none are needed, they want the funds to go to the victim.
“We’re heartbroken, we’re heartbroken for him and we’re heartbroken we’re just worrying ourselves to death and praying that God gets us through it,” said the owner.
Sheriff Ben Caldwell says the fate of the dog is left up to the Corinth Alcorn Animal Shelter. The victim's current condition has not been released.
- Pit bull attacks FedEx employee, owner speaks out
- Shaw Pit Bull Rescue working to find stolen trailer
- Woman claims two pit bulls damaged her car
- Local pit bull rescue aims to help 'Phoenix' rise again
- Man arrested for having a pit bull in trunk of car
- House approves legislation after grease pit drowning
- Investigators suspect FedEx bomb is tied to Austin bombings
- Bull riding event in Tupelo benefits the late Bobby Bratton
- Young employee arrested for embezzlement
- Police name toddler who drowned in ice cream shop grease pit