TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - While the pet industry grows to become a multi-billion dollar industry, three different types of businesses with the same goal have recently opened in Tupelo.
According to dogtopia.com, there is a 98 percent growth in pet services spending from 2013 to 2015, including dog daycare, boarding and spa services.
"They don't have a bad day," David York said. "You have a bad day, come in, and the dogs will be there for you, and I really think that's what's driving a lot of this."
York recently opened Macy's Town House on South Gloster Street near Crosstown in Tupelo. After a soft opening, York's business quickly gained customers from across north Mississippi as well as Memphis and Nashville.
Layne Snipes opened a business of her own, called Hound Dog B&B, and opens her doors to dog sit.
"It's like being a grandmother," Snipes said. "I get to love them and spoil them, treat them and hug them, and kiss them...and send them home."
Since Memorial Day weekend, Snipes has used social media or Rover.com to gain her business.
The Animal Care Center in Tupelo recently opened a new facility off of Cliff Gookin Boulevard called Unleashed.
"They're unleashed, and it's open-play," Manager Amber Holley said. "It's all completely supervised both indoor and outside. We group them by size and age and temperament level."
"No matter what the request is, we're 100 percent going to cater towards them because the customer is the most important, and we want their dog to have the best care possible," said Mary Clair Kelly, an employee at Macy's Town House.
These businesses have big plans for the future. Both Macy's Town House and Unleashed are working to install webcams to allow dog owners to see their furry friends.
"Dogs are our babies," Holley said. "So, people spend a lot of extra time, and they want their dogs to have the best treatment that they can have."
- Pet service industry is on the rise in Tupelo
- Hawkeye Industries expanding in Tupelo
- Garbage pickup prices could rise in Tupelo
- Contour Airlines expands jet services in Tupelo
- Skilled To Work: Industrial Maintenance
- Memorial service held for the homeless who died in Tupelo
- Contour Airlines to continue service at Tupelo airport
- Contour Airlines announces new jet service in Tupelo
- Feds give Corinth $1.5M to improve water service at industrial park
- Fire damages Tupelo apartments