OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Smoking will soon be prohibited as the Oxford Housing Authority and many residents are unhappy.
The Oxford Housing Authorities' four public housing communities will not allow people to smoke inside or outside within 25 feet of a building starting August 1.
"I don't go along with it," said Curley Gilliom. "I just figured you should have a right to smoke if you want to."
"If you can't be comfortable at home, where can you be comfortable at?," said Mona Collins. "If you're paying rent somewhere you should be able to do what you want to do."
Teasha Sanders, the head of occupancy, says the Housing Authority will be working with residents throughout the process. Consequences of violating the policy have not finalized.
- Oxford residents talk smoke ban in housing communities
- Mississippi city's public housing communities to ban smoking
- Oxford Square honored as community staple
- Elderly man dead after Oxford house fire
- Alabama may move to ban smoking in cars carrying minors
- WWII Vets Honored in Oxford
- Oxford sets new development code
- Two indicted for Oxford robbery
- Oxford road work begins today
- Oxford to practice emergency management