OXFORD, Miss (WTVA) - The Jason Foundation released information stating suicide is the second leading cause of death from ages 12-24.
It is the sixth leading cause of death in Mississippi.
An organization called "Rise" at Oxford High School is the first public school in the nation to have certified peer educators.
"We are talking about mental health, anxiety and depression," Therapist Tony Caldwell said. "We are trying to find a language to express the difficult things; to talk about these things and to try and find normalcy about these conversations."
This organization helps parents and students talk about this issue in hopes it will save more students from suicide and depression.
- Oxford High School group raises suicide awareness
- New Albany residents raise awareness for central MS group
- Report: Oxford High School principal to become assistant superintendent
- UPDATE: Arrest made for bizarre Oxford High School break-in
- Oxford Middle School placed on temporary lockdown
- Bid placed for Oxford Elementary School property
- Police investigating school threats in Pontotoc, Oxford
- Oxford police investigate homicide
- Crews work to repair damage by sinkhole at Oxford High School
- UPDATE: Police arrest a suspect for break-in at Oxford High School