COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - The federal government announced the arrests of 149 people as a result of “Operation Triple Beam.”
This operation, which started in mid-July and concluded on Aug. 30, focused on the “Golden Triangle” area. West Point, Starkville and Columbus make up the Golden Triangle.
Many of the same law enforcement agencies were involved in the 2018 operation that focused on more northern counties. | Photo from 2018.
The goal of Operation Triple Beam is to reduce crime.
The arrestees face a variety of criminal charges, including violent crimes, drug crimes and gang-related activities.
Triple Beam also resulted in the seizure of almost $66,000 worth of narcotics and related money.
- Approximately 50 gang members were arrested or confirmed by law enforcement.
- 155 registered sex offenders were checked for compliance with sex offender registration requirements.
- Officers also checked on eight moderate and high-risk federal and state probationers.
The following law enforcement agencies were involved in the Golden Triangle Operation Triple Beam.
- U.S. Marshal’s Service
- U.S. Attorney’s Office
- U.S. Probation
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air and Marine Unit
- Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms
- Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics
- Mississippi Highway Patrol
- Mississippi Bureau of Investigation
- Mississippi Department of Corrections
- Mississippi Air National Guard
- West Point Police Department
- Lowndes County Sheriff’s Department
- Columbus Police Department
- Clay County Sheriff’s Department
- Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department
- Starkville Police Department.
The 2018 operation resulted in the arrests of 255 people.
- Operation Triple Beam works to reduce crime in the Golden Triangle, almost 150 arrests made
- More than 500 attend Golden Triangle Employment Expo
- Golden Triangle Regional Airport hosts TSA Precheck enrollment
- Golden Triangle men face drug charges in Monroe County
- Baptist Golden Triangle hospital provides free flu shots
- UPDATE: South Carolina man charged after Golden Triangle chase
- Driver sought after chase involving law enforcement in Golden Triangle
- REPORT: Accused Kentucky school shooter used to live in the Golden Triangle
- Deputy Director of Golden Triangle Regional Airport will attend National Security Forum
- Winona man arrested following triple homicide