MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A man is in the hospital and another is in custody after an overnight shooting in Nettleton.
Sheriff Cecil Cantrell confirmed to WTVA 9 News that the shooting stemmed from an argument between the alleged shooter and a group of people in a car.
The shooting happened on Highway 6 in Nettleton.
According to Cantrell, a 17-year-old juvenile shot at the vehicle, causing it to crash. Cantrell says the suspect's gun jammed, so he then went into a home and grabbed another gun to continue shooting at the vehicle.
A young man was shot in the hip and was taken to the hospital. Deputies found 12 shell casings.
Sheriff Cantrell says although the suspect is a juvenile, he is being charged as an adult. Right now, he is charged with aggravated assault, but he could face additional charges.
Later Thursday, the sheriff's department identified the suspect as 17-year-old Jadon Lee Strickland of Nettleton. He's charged with aggravated assault and shooting into a motor vehicle.
Later Thursday, the sheriff's department identifed the victim as 32-year-old Yinessa Brunson.
Strickland was released on a $10,000 bond.
- UPDATE: Nettleton teen arrested, charged following shooting
- Drug agents arrest retired pharmacist from Nettleton
- UPDATE: Man arrested, charged following Columbus shooting
- Prayer vigil held for Nettleton teens killed in wreck
- UPDATE: 18-year-old charged with shooting teen in Columbus
- UPDATE: Boy's bike returned after rash of Shannon, Nettleton thefts
- Officers seize package containing drugs in Nettleton, arrest made
- 4 teens arrested after Alabama school shooting
- Person struck, killed by train in Nettleton
- Nettleton road closure scheduled for Wed. morning