OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter is resigning from his post.
He became chancellor of the university in January 2016.
In a news release issued by the university, Vitter will serve as chancellor through Jan. 3, 2019, and continue as a faculty member in the School of Engineering's Department of Computer and Information Science.
"I am excited about the opportunity as a faculty member to advance the university's research and academic excellence," he stated. "Both Sharon and I will remain strong citizens of Rebel Nation."
This is a developing story.
- Ole Miss chancellor Vitter resigning; to remain as faculty member
- Ole Miss faculty senate meeting Tuesday night
- Finance chief named interim chancellor at Ole Miss
- UPDATE: Former Ole Miss chancellor won't head Florida university
- Listening sessions set for Ole Miss chancellor search
- IHL releases timeline of Ole Miss chancellor search
- Ole Miss faculty group votes 'no confidence' in trustees
- Ole Miss student body leaders condemn hiring process for new chancellor