OKOLONA, Miss. (WTVA) - A popular venue to hang out and keep cool in Okolona may soon be back in operation.
City leaders say they hope grant money will help them reopen the city swimming pool.
Okolona Mayor Sherman Carouthers says the old swimming pool located behind the high school has been around since the 1970s.
He says it was a favorite hang-out for a lot of folks in the area including himself.
The old swimming pool shut down in 2013 and Carouthers says it's time to reopen it.
"Because under our previous administration, we spent $15,000 to restore this so that it could be used," he said. "And the eight-year hiatus that I was on, it appears that there was no maintenance done to it."
The mayor says the city has applied for a grant and hopes to know something by September.
If they are awarded the money, the city will start rebuilding the pool.
- Okolona looks to restore old swimming pool
- Okolona police investigate shooting
- Okolona bridge still under construction
- Power outage planned in Okolona
- Okolona school superintendent to retire
- Okolona begins spraying for mosquitoes
- Sheriff: Iuka man flees deputies, attempts to hide in swimming pool
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam
- Ousted Okolona police chief to appeal ruling
- UPDATE: Okolona shooting victim listed as stable