HOLLY SPRINGS, Miss. (WTVA) - The final four-lane segment of Highway 72 in Marshall County is now open.
The 4.2-mile stretch from Highway 302 to the Tennessee state line had been under construction since February of 2016.
The approximately $29.4 million project included constructing two new lanes, a new interchange at Industrial Road and the realignment of Cayce Road.
Northern District Transporation Commissioner Mike Tagert says the new stretch of Highway will relieve congestion and make the road safer.
He also says it will increase connections to the Interstate 269 corridor.
Tagert says workers are still putting the final touches on the roadway and drivers should be alert.
At times, lane closures may be necessary.
- Officials complete final section of four-lane on Highway 72
- Construction on turning lane in Tupelo nears completion
- Designated turn lane opens at Eason, Highway 45 in Tupelo
- United Furniture & Heritage Home Group finalize sale of Lane Furniture
- Tupelo officials say section of West Jackson Street closed
- Sudduth Elem. celebrates completion of Leadership Pavilion
- Tupelo interchange construction set for spring completion
- UPDATE: Work on Endville Road completed
- BancorpSouth completes merger; expands into Texas
- Wife surprises soldier with completed home