SCOOBA, Miss. (WTVA) — A wreck in Kemper County claimed the lives of eight people.
The crash happened on Highway 16, just east of Scooba.
State troopers responded to the crash Monday morning at approximately 3:23, according to Sgt. Andy West of the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Troopers determined that two vehicles had crashed head-on.
One vehicle, a passenger van, was occupied by eight passengers and a driver, West told WTVA.
The other vehicle, a Penske truck, was only occupied by one person.
West said the van’s eight passengers were killed, and the van’s driver was taken to a Meridian hospital.
He said the driver of the truck was not hurt.
Kemper County Sheriff James Moore said the passengers did tree work for an agricultural company and most were from Macon, The Associated Press reported.
Editor's Note: This article has been modified to include a link to an article that has the names of the deceased individuals.
- Head-on collision kills 8 people in Kemper County
- State identifies 8 dead in Kemper County collision
- Another fatal wreck reported in Kemper County
- Clay County collision kills one
- Choctaw County collision kills pedestrian
- Three people seriously injured in head-on collision
- Lowndes County collision injures two people
- 2 from Southaven, 1 from Iowa killed in Kemper County wreck
- Head-on collision kills 1, sends 3 children to hospital
- Pedestrian killed In Oktibbeha County collision