COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - The Lowndes County District Attorney and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation decided Monday not to release body cam footage of Saturday's shooting.
Columbus Police spokesperson Joe Dillon tells WTVA releasing the footage could damage the investigation.
Dillon also says the original disturbance call to The Premier Lounge involved a baseball bat.
MBI is expected to release an official statement regarding the decision.
Stay with WTVA for the latest updates.
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus Mayor Robert Smith issued a statement identifying the officer involved in Saturday's shooting.
Mayor Smith said CPD Officer Jared Booth was involved in the shooting that killed Raymond Davis, 24.
He stated Booth's body camera was activated and caught video and audio of the incident.
Booth was suspended over the summer for 28 days after violating the city's social media policy.
The Mayor asked for patience as the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation conducts a thorough investigation.
The City Council will hold a special meeting today at 4 p.m. Then the Columbus Police Overview Committee will meet at 5 p.m.
A press conference is set for 6 p.m. to provide an update on the case.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE: 11/04/17
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Police in Columbus say one person is dead following an officer involved shooting near a lounge early Saturday.
Police say on Twitter the shooting happened when officers responded to a call about a disturbance at The Premier Lounge at College Street and 22nd Street South around 1 a.m. as it was closing.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant says the person shot by the officer died at Baptist Memorial Hospital - Golden Triangle. That person's name has not been released yet.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has already arrived to begin its investigation into the shooting. It is standard for the state to investigate any fatal shooting by local law enforcement.
- UPDATE: MBI will not release body cam footage in officer-involved shooting
- MBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Calhoun County
- Investigation ongoing into officer-involved shooting, MBI refers to district attorney
- MBI: Hostage/kidnapping situation led to officer-involved shooting in Canton
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash
- Update: Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting
- UPDATE: MBI cancels silver alert; Jackson man found safe
- UPDATE: MBI on scene following Clay County standoff
- UPDATE: MBI cancels missing child alert for boys
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting