Defendant Troy Anthony Eaton was formally charged with one count of capital murder and one count of attempted murder Monday.
Josh Smith | Photo: MHP
See the original post below.
TIPPAH COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) --An off-duty state trooper is shot and killed in Tippah County and the accused shooter behind bars.
Master Sergeant Ray Hall says approximately 12:45 a.m. Sunday, state troopers and local law enforcement agencies responded to Hatchie Bottom, near the Tippah County/Alcorn County line. Upon arriving, officers discovered two people suffering from gunshot wounds.
He says the gunshot victims were Rickie Dale Vick, 38, of Michigan City, and off-duty Trooper Kenneth Joshlin “Josh” Smith, 32, of Walnut.
Vick was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Trooper Smith was mortally wounded and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Hall says Troy Anthony Eaton, 43, of Rienzi, surrendered to law enforcement authorities at approximately 5:30 a.m.
Local, state, and federal authorities assisted with the search for Eaton.
The investigation by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is on-going.
- UPDATE: Off-duty trooper shot and killed in Tippah County
- Law enforcement agencies, family remember off-duty trooper shot, killed
- Body found in Tippah County
- Bond set for man accused of killing off-duty trooper
- Hundreds gather for funeral of off-duty trooper shot and killed
- Tippah County fire that killed twins ruled accidental
- UPDATE: Guilty verdict handed down in Tippah County murder trial
- UPDATE: Stepfather arrested for murder in Tippah County
- Tippah County sex offender wanted by state
- Fatal ATV accident in Tippah County