TUPELO, Miss. (Press Release) - Mel Nunez was recently named director of Health Information Management at North Mississippi Medical Center.
Nunez has more than 20 years of health information services leadership experience and comes to NMMC from Paragon HIM Consulting, where she was vice president of the HIM Consulting Division. She has led operations and championed a improvement projects at a number of hospitals and health care organizations, including the Mayo Clinic, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) and Trinity Healthcare.
Nunez was born in Japan and moved to the Philippines with her family when she was 2 years old. She earned a law degree from the University of The Philippines and practiced law until she moved to the United States. Her career in medical coding began when she reviewed managed care contracts for the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. “All the contracts were in code and someone suggested that I take coding classes,” Nunez said. “I was introduced to the world of medical records and I liked it.”
Nunez completed her undergraduate studies at the University of California-Santa Barbara and earned her master of business administration (MBA) degree at the University of Minnesota. She has published more than 32 articles, including the American Health Information Management Association Journal.
Nunez has been married for 12 years to her husband Alan, who works for the Federal Aviation Administration. She has two grown children, son Nico and daughter Feona.
- Nunez named director of HIM at NMMC
- Mixon named interim administrator at NMMC-Eupora
- NMMC moving its pediatrics unit
- Mississippi Hospital Associations awards NMMC Eupora
- UPDATE: NMMC lifts flu-related restrictions on visitors
- NMMC Auxiliary donates funds to upgrade pediatric unit
- NMMC hosting event to promote stroke awareness month
- SOCSD names Trussell as new director of athletics
- TPSD names Ellis new director of communications for district
- Keith Carter named Ole Miss interim Athletics Director