CARROLL COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - No bond was set for the Winona man accused of shooting and killing his wife and two others in Carroll County on Friday, March 1.
Michael Martin Barnhill, 30, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.
A call came in before midnight about shots being fired in a house on County Road 135 with several people there, according to Carroll County Sheriff Clint Walker.
Michael Barnhill and his wife, Marlee Barnhill, were at the home of Jim and Brooks Harrell to celebrate Marlee Barnhill's 27th birthday, Walker said.
Two other guests were at the home as well.
The sheriff said Michael Barnhill became "drunk and belligerent."
Marlee Barnhill and the Harrells then discouraged his actions, causing Michael Barnhill to become "angry and combative."
Walker said Marlee Barnhill took the keys to her and her husband's pickup truck.
Michael Barnhill "went outside to the vehicle, went back inside, slapped a cigarette from his wife's hand, and shot her in the chest."
That is when the Harrells attempted to step in, but Michael Barnhill shot them as well.
The two other guests ran upstairs to protect the Harrells' 10-year-old son who was asleep in bed, locked and barricaded themselves inside a closet and stayed there until help arrived.
Michael Barnhill ran from the house, but returned and acted like he did not know what happened, Walker said.
"I was just in total shock. Jim was in my office last Wednesday afternoon," said Mike Rozier, a friend of the Harrells. "It's one of these things that if you hear it you don't believe it and you don't want to believe it."
Michael Barnhill remains in the Carroll County jail.
- Victims of triple homicide identified, no bond for suspect
- Sheriff identifies victims of Calhoun double homicide
- Monroe County coroner identifies homicide victim
- Winona man arrested following triple homicide
- Suspect named in Verona homicide, bond set at $1 million
- UPDATE: Lowndes sheriff updates on investigation into triple homicide
- Starkville man charged with capital murder for Artesia triple homicide
- UPDATE: Suspect named in Verona homicide. Bond set at $1 million
- Coroner identifies Tupelo shooting victim
- UPDATE: Bond set for sexual assault suspect