TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Starting Friday, the Mississippi State Department of Health will allow dogs on restaurant patios.
However, there are restrictions:
- Disposable dishes and utensils are required in the dog-friendly area.
- Employees are not allowed to pet or touch the animals.
- Pet owners must keep their dogs on a leash and under control.
- The restaurant must have a separate outside entrance into a designated outdoor dog-friendly area that includes proper signage defining the area.
- Pet dogs are not permitted to travel through indoor or non-designated outdoor portions of the restaurant.
- Service dogs are allowed indoors in customer areas.
If the restaurant agrees to the policy and requirements are met, they can apply for a variance to MSDH Food code to allow pet dogs.
Once the application and the $165 inspection fee is received, MSDH will come out and inspect the facility.
If granted the dog-friendly variance, the MSDH will inspect the restaurant twice a year to make sure it is in compliance.
You can find more information here.