NEW HOPE, Miss. (WTVA) - New Hope High school is grieving after losing one of their students in a car accident over the weekend.
Antaves Rotalren Petty, 16, died Saturday night in a car accident. He was a sophomore at New Hope High School.
The school had extra counselors and pastors on campus Monday to help students who needed it.
Petty played football for the New Hope Trojans. The team held a meeting to address the situation and offer help to players grieving.
Assistant Principal Sammy Smith said students and faculty were in shock.
"He was very well liked and well known," said Smith. "In general he was a great person."
The school will hold a candle light vigil and balloon release in Petty's honor Tuesday morning at 7:45 a.m. on the school's practice field.
Funeral services for Petty are set for Saturday at 12:00 p.m. inside the New Hope High School gym.
- New Hope High School grieves loss of student
- UPDATE: ICC family grieves following student-athlete's death
- Amory students clean up, enhance high school
- Mississippi high school student arrested after threat
- Former Tupelo High School student honored with park bench
- Ole Miss student rallies support for Florida high school
- Red Bay High School students design clothing line
- Tupelo High School student's artwork takes home gold
- Mississippi high school students take part in Boys State
- School attendance returns to normal at New Hope School